There is some talk about the Outdoor Storage Ordinance the Council is looking to introduce tonight. Unfortunately there is some misinformation about the ordinance being talked about and emailed around. I'm not sure why this is happening but here is the truth about the ordinance as well as a link to the actual document.
- General property maintenance has been one of the most popular issues residents have expressed to me since running for office and since being elected to office
- There was a sub-committee of various different individuals with different backgrounds that worked on re-looking at many ordinances
- 95% of the Outdoor Storage Ordinance has already been in place since the 1970s.
- The change in the ordinance affects commercial areas that have unregistered vehicles in disrepair visible to the public.
- The revision to the ordinance gives commercial property's affected as long as 5 months to complete repair or move the vehicle to an interior storage area.
- I know of 3 garage owners that have been informed of this change and have no problem with it.
- Ultimately, this is a good thing for businesses. Something in disrepair and on display that long is essentially pollution and affects other businesses.
- All the other areas of the ordinance affecting residents have been in effect since the late 70s
- The ordinance is locally enforced. This is not some Federal or State law burdening down on our individual rights. This is simply an example of community. Many residents have united to help preserve our town and as part of a democratic process they are helping and asking their local government to assist in this need.
I plan on supporting introduction of this ordinance but also look forward to public feedback.